The Transport Co., Ltd. Was found on 13th July 1930 under the name Aerial Transport of Siam Co., Ltd. which was the pioneer in commercial airline in Thailand as well and land transport between Bangkok-Lopburi and Bangkok-Prachinburi. The Company became a state enterprise during World War II and changed the name to The Transport Co., Ltd. in the year 1938.
In 1947, the government separated the domestic air business from the Company. Then in 1948, the Company started the marine business with 48 vessels. By 1957, the Company operated on 18 marine routes with 4 branches namely ThaTien, Paknam Po-Nakornsawan, Pad Riew and Ayutthya. However, the construction of Chainat dam caused parts of Chaophrayariver to become shallow making it difficult for marine transport and the Company closed down its marine business that year.
During that period, the government also started to regulate and reorganize the country’s public transport which was in crisis especially upcountry where there were a lot of speeding and racing to get passengers which caused many accidents. Moreover, onboard staff and bus operators often had argument and sourced out measures to protect their business from influential figures which affected the lives and assets of many people as well as the country’s economy.
In 1959, the government, under Field Marshal SaritThanarat, realized the severeness of the crisis and awarded the concession of all class 2 transport in 25 provinces solely to The Transport Co., Ltd. as well as giving the Company the authorization in carrying out the affiliation of private bus operators with the purpose of regaining order and fairness to all participated operators in order for them to provide quality services to passengers.
During the year 1959-1968, The Transport Co., Ltd. persuaded major bus operators to become the Company’s affiliates under the government’s regulations and the Company’s brand which solved the illegal buses problem. Although, at the beginning, the Company failed to achieve the goal given by the government and suffered a major loss between 1959 to 1961. However, the Company reconstructed both internal operation and servicing resulting in better financial standing from 1962 to 1973 which saw the Company being able to pay employment bonuses for the first time.
During the year 1979-1988 is the period where the Company reorganized public transportation of its own fleet and the affiliates’ to provide fairness, encourage and support the cooperation of small bus operators in each bus class, route and region resulting the forming of an entity namely Passenger Bus Operators Association in the year 1980.
In 1967, the Company held the foundation stone laying ceremony for the northern and northeaster routes bus terminal at Mochit market, Phaholyothin road. It was a 3 story building standing on 63 rai of land and was to become the Company’s Headquarters. It was known by passengers as Mochit Passenger Terminal.
In 1997, the Company officially opened the Bangkok Bus Terminal (Chatuchak) or Mochit 2. Situated at 999 Kampaengphet 2 Road, Chatuchak sub-district,Chatuchak district and moving the Company’s Headquarters as well as the passenger terminal to this 4 story building with floor area of 27,000sqm, well designed with passengers safety in mind along with all the required facilities.
In 1999, “Maharaj”, the last vessel from the Company’s marine line was given to Ministry of Education for His Majesty King BhumibolAdujyadej’s 6th Cycle Birthday Celebration on 5th December 1999, in accordance to HM’s wishes to provide education to the people across the country. For this prestigious occasion, the Company together with Department of Non-Formal Education, Ministry of Education, came up with the Vessel Library project to honour His Majesty King BhumibolAdulyadej and to broaden knowledge and encourage people to read and study. The hand-over ceremony was held at Captain Shipyard at the bottom of PhraPinklaobridge, Bangkoknoi district, Bangkok on Wednesday 22nd December 1999.
In 2003, The Transport Co., Ltd. had plans to expand their service to the neighbouring countries in preparation for the government’s trade development and investment goal of making Thailand the gateway to Indo-China. In 2004, the new routes from Thailand to Lao PDR, Nongkhai-Vientiane and UdonThaini-Vientiane, were launched. Since then, the Company has launched 12 more routes from Thailand to Lao PDR and 2 routes from Thailand to Cambodia. The Transport Co., Ltd. also has plans to add international routes to Myanmar and Vietnam in the near future.
In 2009, the Company has updated The Transport Co., Ltd.’s trademark to be more modern by changing from Wing to Curving Stripes making the trademark softer and appearing more approachable. The trademark consists of 3 stripes.
Orange Striperepresents the foundation of the trademark and the bus’ curves. Orange is The Transport Co., Ltd.’s colour, therefore, this stripe represents the Company as a solid and long-standing public transportation operator.
Blue Striperepresents the Company’s focus in on-going progress and servicing performance development. The same as when the hot orange buses were updated to the blue air-conditioned buses.
Pink Stripeis the colour of propitiousness and righteousness and represents The Transport Co., Ltd. as an organization that continues to serve the community.
The BorKorSor font is bold representing the organization’s strength and stability.
2010 was another important year in the Company’s milestones by complying to the government’s policy by making around 6,000 public vans joined the Company as affiliates. This affiliation allowed for the vans to be regulated in order for the van operators to provide passengers with better services and safety to the lives and assets of the passengers.
In 2014, in preparation for the ASEAN Economic Community : AEC, the Company has improved their international public transportation service. To prepare for the future competition, the Company has launched new route from Bangkok to Chiang Khong which connects Thailand to the neighbouring country. Furthermore, the Company has launched 2 international routes via ChaingKhong which were Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong-Luangprabang and Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong-Bokeo to support the economic expansion and passengers traffic that is expected to increase at the border point. The Company has built Chiang Khong Passenger Center on a 4 rai, 1 ngarn and 71sqw plot of land completed with facilities such as ticket booths, passengers waiting area, food center, convenient store, passenger toilets, disabled facilities, parcel drop-off point and staff housing. The passenger center can cater to both the Company’s buses and affiliated buses.
The Company held the opening ceremony for Chiang Khong Passenger Center to accommodate both national and international transport as well as to support the AEC implementation in the future. From past to present, the Company operate in accordance to the government and the board’s policies to serve the public. From 1984 fiscal year, the Company continues to gain profits. Although, the profits were not high but they were enough to allow the Company to improve services and sustain themselves. The Company wishes to continue to operate and provide services with the aim to improve and develophoping to be ready to brace changes that may happen in the future steadily.
In 2016, the Company has improved the service operation to provide passengers with more convenient and up-to-date services. Whether it’s the introduction of 100 new 15m buses to replace the old ones at the end of their contract. The new buses are fully equipped with amenities such as the new capsule seats, electric massaging system, USB power outlets, big personal TV screen and the latest addition to the amenities was, in cooperation with Advanced Wireless Network Co., Ltd (AWN)., theFree WiFi on Bus that were installed on 2 buses of each of the following 4 main routes; Bangkok-Mae Sot, Bangkok-Phuket, Bangkok-Nakornpanom and Bangkok-Chiang Mai. The system are being tested from today until 31st October 2016 and will be installed on all new buses in the near future.
“BorKorSor - Belongs to the state – Stand together for the public – Owned by all”